One of my earliest blog posts, 2011 Mantra, begins with a reference to the defnition of a mantra ...... To a runner, transformation might refer to the change one encounters physically, as when transitioning from a laid out, nice and warm, sound-asleep condition at 5 in the morning, to one that is upright, barely awake and heading out the door within minutes for an early run. Transformation might also be the state of mind that moves one past the pain, the miles ahead or the challenges of extreme weather. Personally, I find the transformational power of the mantra to be that which keeps me focused on a specific, long term goal and reminds me of the why I do what I do.......
Fast forward to today's entry. The 2011 mantra certainly did its job this past year. Accompanying me across 1,300+ training miles and numerous fun events. The rally cry of Make Another Moment resulted in several made moments, and Psalm 126:2 kept my thoughts on 'songs of joy and shouts of laughter!' Now it is time to retire the old and introduce the new. It's time to roll out the 2012 words of motivation and transformation. Why? Well, for starters, Road ID has 20% off everything through the end of the month, (RoadID.com is great product and safety accessory for runners), and more importantly it's never too early to start preparing for great expections of the coming year.
So ........ I need your help! What do you think? Any good suggestions or ideas for a 2012 theme. I really like having a word / phrase of motivation and a special verse to mediatate on throughout the year. Let me know. Remember, there are no bad ideas in brainstorming new mantras!
Thanks in advance, and as background, here are the past mantras.
- 2004 : “Don’t Give Up, Don’t Ever Give Up” - Jimmy V’
- 2005 : “They shall run and not grow weary.....” - Isaiah 40:31
- 2006 : “If not me, then who? If not now, then when?” - DH
- 2007 : “Running with Horses” (even back then) - Jeremiah 12:5
- 2008 : “When the Games Over, It All Goes Back in the Box” - Ortberg
- 2009 : “To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift” - Pre
- 2010 : “A Mad, Motivated Mission”
- 2011 : "Make Another Moment" / "Joy & Laughter" - Psalm 126:2
For your further reading pleasure, the following was posted as a mid-year mantra update in July: 2011 Status